What are 4G and LTE Phone Networks?
- 4G and LTE are among the most confusing terms in the Tech world.
- While the two networks emerged around the same time, they are different.
- For starters, 4G is a fourth-generation network while LTE stands for Long Term Evolution network.
- The reason why the 2 are mentioned as one (4G LTE) is primarily because of marketing.
- LTE is a network that upgraded the 3G network that had speeds in kilobits per second.
- The new LTE network introduced faster internet speeds measured at megabits per second.
- While LTE redefined internet connectivity, 4G was also being rolled out.
- 4G is even more powerful with peak speeds hitting the 1 Gbits/sec mark.
- The body that regulates 4G, the International Telecommunications Union (ITU-R) does not have the means to enforce 4G standards.
- This is one of the reasons why phone marketers label phones as 4G LTE.
Also read: What Are Phone Camera Megapixels?