What is ROM in Mobile Phones and How Does it Work?
- ROM stands for Read Only Memory and is often confused with internal storage in mobile phone marketing.
- ROM is also known as firmware and it refers to a specially programmed device that is fitted by the manufacturer.
- ROM stores the instructions that are required to start the device upon switching on.
- Such instructions are permanently stored in the Read Only Memory during the phone’s manufacture.
- ROM is different from Internal Storage because you cannot write new information on it.
- For internal storage, the act of saving new files like images and videos can be referred to as writing into the phone’s memory.
- For ROM, the information can not be retrieved for any other purpose other than the phone system’s background use.
Also read: What is Internal Storage in Your Phone?