List of countries and their airlines and IATA codes
A majority of nations around the world have national carriers or airlines which facilitate air travel for their citizens to international destinations.
These airlines are registered under the International Air Transport Association (IATA). IATA is a trade association of the world’s airlines founded in 1945.
It sets global standards for airline safety, security, efficiency, and sustainability. The following are the airlines, countries, and IATA-assigned codes.
- The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is a landlocked country in Asia.
- Its airline is Ariana Afghan Airlines Company Limited with the IATA code FG.
- The state-owned airline has the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul Afghanistan as its main hub.
Also read: List of All Taxi Hailing Apps in Kenya
- Albania is a county in the Balkans in southern Europe with Tirana as its capital.
- Its airline is Air Albania is the flag carrier of Albania with the IATA code TIA.
- The airline has the Tirana International Airport Nënë Tereza in Tirana as its main hub and headquarters.
- Air Albania flies visitors into the country who tour the many Albanian castles and archaeological sites.
- Algeria is an expansive country in North Africa that has a Mediterranean Sea coastline and the Sahara Desert in its interior.
- Its airline is Air Algérie with the IATA code AH.
- The airline has the Houari Boumediene International Airport in Algiers as its main hub and Immeuble El-Djazair headquarters.
4. American Samoa
- American Samoa is an unincorporated territory of the United States located in the South Pacific Ocean.
- Samoa Airways, formerly Polynesian Airlines, is the state-owned flag carrier airline of Samoa assigned the IATA code OL.
- Samoa Airways has the Pago Pago International Airport as its main hub and headquarters.
- Andorra is a sovereign landlocked microstate in Europe.
- Its airline is Air Andorra with the IATA code AD and it was founded in 2015.
- The airline has the Andorra-La Seu Airport (LEU) as its main hub and Barcelona as its headquarters.
- Angola is a Southern African nation with tropical Atlantic beaches, a network of rivers, and a Sub-Saharan desert that extends to Namibia.
- TAAG Angola Airlines is the national airline of Angola with the IATA code DT.
- TAAG Angola Airlines is based at the Quatro de Fevereiro International Airport in the south of its capital Luanda.
7. Antigua and Barbuda
- Antigua and Barbuda is an independent Commonwealth Island country comprising its 2 namesake islands and several smaller ones.
- BMN Air is the national/flag carrier of Antigua and Barbuda with the IATA code BMN.
- BMN Air has the V. C. Bird International Airport as its main hub and headquarters.
- Argentina, officially the Argentine Republic, is a country in the southern half of South America.
- Aerolíneas Argentinas, LADE is the national/flag carrier of Argentina with the IATA code AR.
- Aerolíneas Argentinas, LADE has the Ezeiza International Airport as its main hub and headquarters.
- Ezeiza International Airport is the main gateway to Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina.
- Armenia is a unitary, multi-party, democratic nation-state in Asia.
- Armenia Airways is the Armenian national carrier with the IATA code 6A.
- Armenia Airways has the Zvartnots International Airport in Yerevan, Armenia as its main hub and headquarters.
Also read: 10 Least Populated Countries in the World
- Australia is a sovereign country comprising the mainland of the Australian continent, the island of Tasmania, and numerous smaller islands.
- Qantas Airways Limited is the flag carrier of Australia with the IATA code QF.
- It is also the largest airline in Australia by fleet size and international destinations.
- Qantas Airways Limited has Sydney Airport as its main hub.
- Its headquarters are based in Mascot, Australia.
- Austria is a landlocked country in Central Europe with its capital in Vienna.
- Austrian Airlines AG, often shortened to Austrian, is the flag carrier of Austria and a subsidiary of the bigger Lufthansa Group.
- Austrian Airlines AG is assigned the IATA code OS.
- Austrian Airlines is headquartered in the Vienna International Airport in Schwechat where it also maintains its hub.
- Azerbaijan is a transcontinental nation that sprawls between Europe and Asia.
- Azerbaijan Airlines is the country’s national carrier and the largest airline in Azerbaijan with the IATA code J2.
- The airline is based in Baku, adjacent to the Heydar Aliyev International Airport.
- The Bahamas is an island country in North Atlantic.
- Bahamas Air is the national airline of the Bahamas with the IATA code UP.
- The airline operates on more than 30 routes from its main hub and headquarters at the Lynden Pindling International Airport.
- Bahrain is an island country in Western Asia.
- Bahrain’s national airline is Gulf Air which is owned by the state. Its IATA code is GF.
- The Manama-based airline flies to more than 55 destinations worldwide.
- Bangladesh is a country in South Asia and is one of the most populous worldwide.
- Its national flag carrier is Biman Bangladesh Airlines, an airline based in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The Biman Bangladesh Airlines IATA code is BG.
- Barbados is an independent Caribbean island country.
- Caribbean Airlines Limited is the state-owned airline and flag carrier of Trinidad and Tobago.
- The airline is also the flag carrier of Barbados, Jamaica, and Guyana.
- Caribbean Airlines Limited has the IATA code BW.
- Belarus is a landlocked country in Eastern Europe that borders Russia.
- Its national airline is Belavia – Belarusian Airlines, an airline based in Minsk Belarus.
- The Belavia – Belarusian Airlines IATA code is B2.
- The Kingdom of Belgium is a country in Northwestern Europe.
- Brussels Airlines is the flag carrier and largest airline of Belgium and it is based at Brussels Airport.
- Brussels Airlines has the IATA code SN and it flies to over 100 destinations in Europe, North America, and Africa.
- Bolivia is a landlocked country at the center of the South American continent.
- Boliviana de Aviación IATA code OB is the country’s national airline and it is fully owned by the state.
- It has a fleet size of 17 aircraft and flies to over 10 destinations.
- Its main hub is the Viru Viru International Airport in Bolivia.
Also read: Top 10 Most Populous African Countries
- Brazil is the largest country in South America and in Latin America.
- The country is mainly served by LATAM Airlines which is assigned the IATA code JJ.
- The Brazil operation is a subsidiary of the larger LATAM Airlines Group S.A. headquartered in Chile.
- LATAM Airlines flies to both domestic and international destinations from its 3 main hubs in Rio, Brasilia, and Sao Paulo.
- Bulgaria is a country in the Balkan region of Europe with its capital in Sofia.
- Bulgaria Air is the national airline of Bulgaria, with its headquarters at Sofia Airport in Sofia.
- Bulgaria Air has the IATA code FB and flies to various destinations within Europe, the Middle East, and Russia.
- Cambodia is a country in South East Asia. Its national airline is Cambodia Angkor Air.
- Bearing the IATA code K6, the airline flies to over 20 destinations around the world.
- Cambodia Angkor Air operates under the motto “Proudly Serve the Kingdom” and its main hub is the Siem Reap International Airport.
- Canada is a country in North America and is the second largest in the world by land size.
- Air Canada (IATA Code AC) is the flag carrier and the largest airline in Canada by size and passengers carried.
- Air Canada maintains its headquarters in the borough of Saint-Laurent, Montreal, Quebec.
- The colossal airline flies to over 200 destinations worldwide.
- Chile is a long, narrow country stretching along South America’s western edge
- LATAM Airlines Group S.A. is a Chilean airline holding company headquartered in Santiago, Chile.
- The massive airline has subsidiaries in other South American countries like Brazil, Ecuador, Paraguay, Colombia, and Peru.
- The airline carries the IATA code JJ.
- China, officially the People’s Republic of China, is a country in East Asia.
- Air China is the national airline of China and is among the big 3 airlines alongside China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines.
- Air China is assigned the IATA Code CA and flies to more than 200 destinations worldwide.
- Colombia is a country in South America.
- Its national airline is Avianca S.A. with IATA Code AV.
- The airline flies to 76 destinations worldwide.
27. Costa Rica
- Costa Rica is a rugged, rainforested Central American country with coastlines on the Caribbean and Pacific.
- Avianca Costa Rica S.A. is the national airline of Costa Rica and is based in San José.
- The airline flies to over 35 destinations in Central, North, and South America.
- The Avianca Costa Rica S.A. IATA code is LR.
- Croatia is a European country that is served by the state-owned Croatia Airlines.
- Headquartered at Buzin near Zagreb, the airline flies to domestic and foreign destinations mainly around Europe.
- The Croatia Airlines IATA code is OU.
- Cuba is a North American island country located at the intersection of the Caribbean Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Cubana de Aviación S.A commonly known as Cubana is Cuba’s national carrier.
- It is also the largest airline in the country and flies to over 20 destinations.
- Bearing the IATA code CU, the airline mainly operates from the José Martí International Airport in Havanna.
30. Czech Republic
- The Czech Republic, also known as Czechia, is a landlocked country in Central Europe.
- Czech Airlines is the flag carrier of the Czech Republic bearing the IATA Code OK.
- Its head office is located in the Vokovice area of Prague’s 6th district.
- Czech Airlines mainly operates from the Václav Havel Airport in Prague.
- Denmark is a Scandinavian country in the European continent.
- Its national airline is Scandinavian Airlines with IATA Code SK.
- Scandinavian Airlines serves Scandinavian countries namely;
- It was jointly founded by the following airlines from the respective countries;
- Norwegian Air Lines
- Danish Air Lines
- Swedish Intercontinental Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, and its main hub in Denmark is Copenhagen Airport.
- The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean nation that shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti to the west.
- PAWA Dominicana was the international flag carrier of the Dominican Republic with the IATA Code 7N.
- PAWA Dominicana mainly operates from the Santo Domingo/Las Américas International Airport.
33. El Salvador
- El Salvador is a North American country with a Pacific Ocean coastline to its South.
- Avianca El Salvador is an airline owned by Kingsland Holdings based in El Salvador.
- It operates as the flag carrier of El Salvador with IATA Code TA.
- Estonia, a country in Northern Europe, borders the Baltic Sea and includes more than 1,500 islands.
- Its national airline is Nordica which is assigned the IATA Code EE.
- Nordic Aviation Group AS is the state-owned Estonian flag carrier that mainly operates from the Tallinn Airport in Estonia.
- Fiji is an island country in the continent of Oceania that comprises 300 islands.
- Fiji Airways is the flag carrier airline of Fiji with the IATA Code FJ.
- The airline flies to international destinations from its main hub and headquarters at the Nadi International Airport in Fiji,
- Finland is a Northern European nation bordering Sweden, Norway, and Russia.
- Finnair is the flag carrier and largest airline in Finland flying with the IATA Code AY.
- Its headquarters are in Vantaa on the grounds of Helsinki Airport, its main hub.
- France is a country in Western Europe that prides itself on its sophisticated cuisine, wines, and medieval cities.
- Air France, stylized as AIRFRANCE, is the flag carrier of France assigned the IATA Code AF.
- The subsidiary of the Air France–KLM Group mainly operates from the Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.
- Georgia is a country at the intersection of Europe and Asia.
- Georgian Airways, formerly Airzena, is the flag carrier of Georgia (IATA Code A9).
- Unlike other national carriers, this airline is not state-owned but privately owned.
- Germany is a country in Central Europe and is the second-most populous country in Europe after Russia.
- Deutsche Lufthansa AG, commonly shortened to Lufthansa is Germany’s national airline flying with the IATA Code LH.
- Lufthansa is one of the biggest and most profitable airlines in Europe and globally.
- Greece is a country in southeastern Europe with thousands of islands throughout the Aegean and Ionian seas.
- Greece is known for its influence in ancient times and it is often called the cradle of Western civilization.
- Aegean Airlines S.A. is the flag carrier airline of Greece and the largest Greek airline by the total number of passengers carried, the number of destinations served, and fleet size.
- The airline operating under IATA Code A3 mainly operates from the Athens International Airport and its headquarters are in Kifisia, Greece.
- Grenada is a Caribbean country comprising a main island, also called Grenada.
- SVG AIR is the national airline of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines with the IATA Code GRX.
- The airline mainly operates from the Argyle International Airport and flies to over 10 destinations.
- Haiti is the third largest country in the Caribbean.
- Sunrise Airways S.A. is a Haitian airline that provides scheduled passenger and charter flights.
- It flies to more than 10 destinations and has the IATA Code S6.
- Honduras is a Central American country with Caribbean Sea coastlines to the north and the Pacific Ocean to the south.
- CM Airlines is a domestic airline in Honduras with the IATA Code CC.
- Headquartered in Tegucigalpa Honduras, the airline flies to over 10 destinations.
- Hungary is a landlocked country in Central Europe.
- Wizz Air is the national airline of Hungary.
- The ultra-low-cost airline is headquartered in Budapest Hungary and mainly operates from London Luton Airport.
- Wizz Air operates with the IATA Code W6.
- Iceland is a Nordic island nation in the European continent.
- Icelandair is the flag carrier airline of Iceland flying with the IATA Code FI.
- Its headquarters are within Reykjavík Airport in the capital city Reykjavik.
- India is a country in South Asia and the second-most populous country in the world.
- Air India is the flag carrier airline of India, headquartered in New Delhi.
- The airline mainly operates from the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- Indonesia is a country in Southeast Asia consisting of over 17,000 islands.
- Garuda Indonesia is the national airline of Indonesia, headquartered at Soekarno–Hatta International Airport.
- Garuda Indonesia operates with the IATA Code GA.
- The Islamic Republic of Iran is a Middle Eastern country located in Western Asia.
- Air Iran is the national airline of Iran that flies to more than 70 destinations.
- Assigned the IATA Code IR, the airline mainly operates from the Mehrabad Airport in Tehran where its headquarters are based.
- Iraqi Airways Company, branded Iraqi Airways, is the national air carrier of Iraq.
- It operates from the Baghdad International Airport in Iraq where its headquarters are domiciled.
- Assigned IATA Code IA, Iraqi Airways is the second oldest airline in the Middle East.
- Ireland is an island in the North Atlantic Ocean, in north-western Europe.
- Aer Lingus (IATA Code EI) is the national airline of Ireland.
- The airline mainly operates from the Dublin Airport in the Irish capital and flies to more than 90 destinations.
- Israel is a Middle Eastern country on the Mediterranean Sea that is widely regarded as the biblical Holy Land.
- El Al Israel Airlines Limited is the national flag carrier of Israel.
- Since its inaugural flight from Geneva to Tel Aviv in September 1948, the airline has grown and now flies to over 50 destinations.
- The airline has a fleet size of over 40 aircraft and is assigned the IATA Code LY.
- Italy is a country in Southern and Western Europe, located in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.’
- ITA Airways is the state-owned flag carrier airline of Italy with the IATA Code AZ.
- It is fully owned by the Government of Italy and operates under the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
- The airline flies to over 60 domestic, European, and intercontinental destinations.
- The airline succeded Alitalia which filed for bankruptcy in 2017 and ceased operations in 2021.
- Jamaica is a Caribbean island nation with a lush terrain consisting of mountains, rainforests, and reef-lined beaches.
- The national airline of Jamaica is Caribbean Airlines, formerly known as Air Jamaica.
- Caribbean Airlines (IATA Code BW) also serves as the national carrier of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Jamaica is famous for its rich reggae/Rastafarian heritage, with sites like the Bob Marley Museum in its capital Kingston being major attractions.
- Japan is an island country in East Asia situated in the northwest Pacific Ocean.
- Japan Airlines Co. Ltd, also known as JAL or Nikkō, is an international airline and Japan’s flag carrier.
- Headquartered in Shinagawa, Tokyo, it mainly operates from Tokyo’s Narita International Airport.
- Japan Airlines has the IATA Code JL.
- Jordan is an Arab nation on the east bank of the Jordan River.
- Royal Jordanian Airlines, formerly known as Alia Royal Jordanian Airlines, is the flag carrier airline of Jordan with its head office in the capital, Amman.
- Royal Jordanian Airlines mainly operates from the Queen Alia International Airport and its IATA Code is RJ.
- Kazakhstan is a transcontinental landlocked country located mainly in Central Asia and partly in Eastern Europe.
- Air Astana (IATA Code KC) is its national airline based in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- It operates scheduled international and domestic services on 64 routes from its main hub Almaty International Airport.
- Kiribati is an island country in Oceania in the Central Pacific Ocean.
- Air Kiribati is the flag carrier of the Republic of Kiribati and mainly operates from Bonriki International Airport on the island of Tarawa.
- Air Kiribati has the IATA Code IK.
- Kuwait, officially the State of Kuwait, is an Arab-speaking country in Western Asia.
- Kuwait Airways is the flag carrier of Kuwait with its head office on the grounds of Kuwait International Airport.
- Kuwait Airways has the IATA Code IK.