How to Conduct a Kenyan Wedding-Legal Details

How to Conduct a Kenyan Wedding-Legal Details
How to Conduct a Kenyan Wedding-Legal Details

Marriage In Kenya

The following documents are required to register for marriage in Kenya.

Marriage between Kenyans

1. Copies of identification cards and colored passport size photos (for both parties) and Ksh 600.
NB: this will be for the notice which will run for 21days

2. After the 21-day notice, if the ceremony is to take place in the:

  1. Registrar’s Office: You will be required to pay Ksh 3,300, and then given a marriage date according to the official diary.
  2. Church: you will be required to Pay Ksh 800 after the 21day notice to obtain a Registrar.
  3. The certificate which will be issued seven days thereafter Copy Pastor’s License & serial No. of certificate of marriage to be issued

3.  Where the ceremony shall take place other than a church or Registrar’s Office e.g.
A Gardenhotel, etc. A Special License is also needed to License the venue for a wedding even if notice is properly given at a fee of Ksh. 7200.

Marriage between Kenyans (Special)  

In the event that you cannot give notice for 21 days, the following documents will be required.

1. Birth Certificates (Copies & Original)
2. Identification cards or passports (Copies & Original)
3. Prove that there is no impediment to marriage e.g.

  1. Affidavits
  2. Death Certificate (In the case of widowed persons)-Copy & original
  3. Divorce Decree Absolute. (In the case of divorced persons)-Copy & original

4. Colored Passport size photos
5. A documented reason to show (prove that you do not have time to give a 21-day notice.
Both parties to be present Copy Pastor’s License- if the marriage is conducted by a church minister & Serial No.

Marriage between a Kenyan and Foreigner


1. Identification card/valid Kenyan passport(Copies & Original)
2. Colored passport size photo
3. Birth Certificate (Copies & Original)
4. Affidavit.

Death Certificate (In the case of a widowed person) – Copy & original

Divorce Decree Absolute (In the case of divorce person) – Copy & original

Foreign National

1. Valid passport (Copies & Original)
2. Birth Certificate (Copies & Original)
3. Passport size photo (Coloured)
4. A Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.

Death Certificate. (In the case of widowed person)- or

Divorce Decree Absolute. (In the case of divorce person)- Copy & original

5. Return air ticket/visa/work permit.