Top 7 Tips On How To Maintain Dreadlocks Naturally
You need to know ways on how to maintain dreadlocks naturally by yourself without needing lots of effort and time. Discover some useful methods that you can follow. They include:
1. Care For Dreadlocks
When it comes to ways on how to maintain dreadlocks, you need to care for dreadlocks.
- The first thing is that you can use a silk scarf instead of a flannel or cotton one so as to protect your dreadlocks when having a night sleep.
- Wearing a Dread Sock when sleeping to help maintain dreadlocks.
- Using Palm Rolling is also a great idea to shape your dreadlocks in the first week.
- If your scalp is becoming too irritated and itchy, use a dread conditioning spray. It will add moisture to the scalp and relieve the irritation.
- Salt water works effectively in tightening dreadlocks. Make and then store it in a spray bottle and whenever dreads are a little loose and lifeless, spritz salt water on your dreads.
- As your hair continues growing, it is sure that there will be a few loose hairs at the roots. In order to tighten loose hairs up again, use some dread wax to roll the dreads right at the roots.
2. Wash The Dreadlocks
When it comes to ways on how to maintain dreadlocks by yourself, you should not skip washing your dreadlocks. Dreadlocks do not need to be brushed and trimmed regularly. Nonetheless, it is very important to keep them clean. If you have new dreadlocks, for the first week, you should not wash them. And after that, you can use the shampoo bar or dread liquid shampoos for these new dreadlocks. To wash your dreadlocks off, soak them well in water while noticing about the root. Next, take a bit of dread shampoo or shampoo bar and gently work them in your dreads. Finally, you rinse the shampoo off.
In order to make dreadlocks dry, the best way for you is to work depending on your hairstyle. One of these ways is to lower your head to make your dreadlocks down and then, take the water out of your dreads. Once the water is squeezed completely, you use accelerating gel in order to spray down and then squeeze them once again. The final step is to cover your dreadlocks with a clean towel and soak up the moisture. After some minutes of application, take it out and allow your dreadlocks to air dry.
4. Tricks For Loops/Bumps
After a time, your dreadlocks often become shorter and thicker and every part of the dreadlocks will grow at a different speed, resulting in loops and bumps. If you want to deal with this condition, you can try out some following solutions:
- You pull the dreadlock into the loops with the help of a dread tool. Remember that you just do that with extreme loops.
- Alternatively, you can make use of felting needle. Although it can make your dreads neater, it can also break your hairs. So, when you use felting needle, poke it into the loops repeatedly while making the hairs of loop interlocked with the dreadlocks’ hairs closely.
5. Massage Your Scalp
You can experience discomfort and scalp irritation due to the dreads weighing down. Actually, massaging your scalp can help in improving hair growth and relaxing your scalp. Massage it for around 5 minutes every night to make the dreadlocks become more beautiful and healthier, release natural oils into the hair and simultaneously prevent the dreadlocks from drying out and breaking off.
7. Use Natural Haircare Products
Another natural tips on how to maintain dreadlocks by yourself that you should know is to use natural hair care products. As dreadlocks need to be taken care by special products that contain no harsh chemicals or leave no residue, it is better to ask your hair-stylist to know haircare products that can help you have a good scalp health and keep your dreads clean. Also, you should opt for haircare products that contain natural ingredients to take place of synthetic products.