‘I last saw Monica Kimani with Jowie,’ witness says

Maribe and Jowie in the dock PHOTO/COURTESY

A witness who last saw Monica Kimani before she met her death has testified in court.

Lee Omondi a businessman dealing with motor vehicle insurance testified in the trial of Joseph Irungu alias Jowie and his girlfriend, former TV presenter Jacqueline Maribe, over the murder of Monica on the night of September 20, 2018.

Omondi gave a detailed account of what transpired shortly before he left her in the company of Jowie.

“Joe is the one I left at Monica’s place the night she was killed. He described himself as a security person working with Interpol and at the Office of the President. He even offered to get me a firearm,” said Omondi.

According to Omondi hours before the late Monica met her death he (Omondi) went to Monica’s house to collect documents form her and there he met Jowie, who was introduced to him as Joe, and a neighbor by the name Walid.

Omondi said Monica introduced Irungu as her “good friend” and security guard working with Interpol, and the other man as Walid, a neighbor, and friend.

He said Jowie was wearing a white Kanzu, grey blazer and a red taqiya (Muslim scullcap).

But according to Omondi he overheard Monica say that Jowie “never wore a gown.”

Also Read:Jacque Maribe blasts fan over Jowie’s photo

However, in response, Jowie said: “he was coming from an operation somewhere in Lamu and had to blend in.”

Omondi went on to tell the court that Jowie had even told them he had a house in Eastleigh for purposes of an operation he was conducting.

Omondi said they went on to discuss matters insecurity with Jowie, which scared him.

He said he wished he owned a gun to which Jowie replied that he could help him get one.

Omondi said before he left, Monica talked about her trip to Dubai which seemed to interest Jowie. By this time, he noted Walid had left. And after about an hour, he also left.

“I thought I had overstayed and I reasoned it was good to leave. Jowie looked like someone who knew his way around the house. He knew the rooms and where everything was,” he said

He said Monica gave him an envelope containing the details of his vehicle and that someone was to deliver some parcel to him the following day.

That was the last time he saw Monica. When he called her the next day, her phone went unanswered. He later on learnt Monica had been murdered.