Kenyans are traveling abroad mostly for business but gradually they are picking up leisure travel in and outside the country. Although the Kenya Tourism Board in conjunction with the ministry of Tourism has really done a good job at encouraging domestic tourism, Kenyans are mostly traveling abroad. With increased travelling, comes the need for good travel insurance in Kenya. There are many insurance companies in Kenya offering travel insurance but finding the best travel insurance in Kenya would be the headache of most Kenyan travelers.
Let’s look at what is travel insurance, who should be take travel insurance and what should be in a good travel insurance package. This is an effort to identify the best travel insurance cover in Kenya
What is travel insurance?
Travel insurance is a short term insurance cover that provides among other things 24hours emergency medical assistance, compensation for loss of traveler’s property and travel delay, personal accident cover and other travel related emergencies occurring during the trip.
What does travel insurance cover?
Most people take travel insurance simply because they know they should have it when traveling or more precisely, they are required to have travel insurance before applying for a visa. They end up just picking any cheap travel insurance policy without consideration of the finer details.
Who should buy travel insurance?
As the name suggests travel insurance should be bought by nearly anyone travelling far and wide. The list here highlights best candidates for travel insurance.
- Students traveling to the USA are required to have a qualified travel insurance plan during their period of study
- A qualified travel insurance plan is needed by students travelling to the USA for their education. Generally most countries require foreign students to have some form of insurance.
- Travelers applying for visa to the Schengen area countries are required to verify they have adequate travel insurance during their visa application period, depending on the span of stay.
- Visitors to the United Arab Emirates need to have travel insurance when applying for a Visa. Typically what is needed here is health insurance.
- In most jurisdictions tour travel companies require those using their group tours services to have insurance cover, this also applies to cruise travel companies.
- As a general rule, many countries where you need to apply for a visa are likely to also require a minimum level of travel insurance.
- Tourists and Business travelers need proper travel insurance cover due to the nature of their travels.Travel insurance provides peace of mind for those travelling abroad. When you are out on holiday you want to minimize everything else and just concentrate on enjoying your time. Many people when travelling in a foreign county have the fear of the unknown, travel insurance comes in to give assurance that all will be well even if things don’t go as planned
- Diplomats make frequent trips to foreign countries for unilateral and bilateral talks. A forward thinking government does well if it takes travel insurance cover to forestall uncertainties associated with travelling.
Things you need to know before you buy travel insurance.
A good number of Kenyans are traveling abroad for business and leisure. This trips are expensive and come with many unforeseen circumstances. Travel insurance comes in handy to cover you and ensure your trip is smooth and worry free.
Here are our tips and a few things you should know before you buy travel insurance.
Read between the lines
Its important to check what is being offered by your travel insurance. This allows you to know what is provide for in the cover so you know what you are and are not covered for before you start your travels.
Compare rates and benefits
While it may be good to advocate for any travel cover out there. Its more important for one to actually compare the benefits. You need to match the benefits with the amount you are paying for. Our research shows Resolution travel insurance gives value for money.
If you need travel insurance in Kenya contact Kate on 0729673458
Don’t fall for the cheapest option
The adage cheap is expensive is well illustrated when it comes to buying travel insurance. While we advocate for the cheaper offers, we encourage you to find something that really represent your needs. Go for the cover that gives you peace of mind by covering more yet at an affordable rate.
You may have to pay first, claim later
Sometimes your travel insurance company requires you to pay your hospital bills up front, and then fill out a claims form to reimburse the cost. This may be mandatory, but often if you contact your travel insurance company first they can either send you to a hospital that they are partnered with, or write a letter of guarantee you can give to the hospital saying that they will cover the costs. Look into this.
Do you have any news or article you would like us to publish? Kindly reach us via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.