National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a State Parastatal that was established in 1966 as a department under the Ministry of Health. The original Act of Parliament that set up this Fund in 1966 has over the years been reviewed to accommodate the changing healthcare needs of the Kenyan population, employment, and restructuring in the health sector. Currently, an NHIF Act No 9 of 1998 governs the Fund. The transformation of NHIF from a department of the Ministry of Health to a state of a corporation was aimed at improving effectiveness and efficiency. The Fund’s core mandate is to provide medical insurance cover to all its members and their declared dependants (spouse and children). The NHIF membership is open to all Kenyans who have attained the age of 18 years and years and have a monthly income of more than Ksh 1000. NHIF has 61 fully autonomous branches across the country. Each of these branches offers all NHIF services including payment of benefits to hospitals or members or employers. Smaller satellite offices and service points in district hospitals also serve these branches.
How to Register for NHIF membership
NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sector. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary. To register with NHIF as a member, fill in the Members Form. To register as an employer or organized group, fill in the Employers Form.
Who is eligible?
- Any person.
Who is a resident in Kenya?
- Has attained the age of 18 years. (No age limit after the age of 18 years)
- Whose total income from salaried or self-employment is more than Kshs. 1,000 per month or Kshs. 12,000 per year.
- Drawing an income from Kenya
- Working under contract or casual terms of employment (It also includes voluntary contributors)This includes foreign visitors permitted to work or study in Kenya
What do I need to bring?
1. Copy of National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
2. Copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (excludes self-employed/voluntary contributors)
3. Colored passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable)
4. Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependants
1. Copies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable)
2. Colored passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable)
1. Copy of passport
2. Colored passport photo
3. Submit the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category
Where can I drop off my form?
- At any of our branches located countrywide.