AEO is a preferential customs clearing programme that allows trusted customs clients to enjoy:
- Preferential customs facilitation when clearing.
- Reduced time and cost at points of service.
- Customs certified secured and reliable trading partner when trading.
In Kenya, there are two categories of AEO:
- National AEO – the benefits are limited to the jurisdiction of Kenya.
- East African Regional AEO – this a more comprehensive programme since its members are mutually recognized by the East African Community.
How to join AEO Program
AEO Program Operators involved in international trade are approved by the Customs Administration.
To qualify for the programme, companies have to satisfy the AEO Compliance Procedure.
- Documentation of Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs)
- Maintain a good Compliance culture
- Training of company staff
- Maintaining proper Internal audit programmes/mechanisms
- Having Root cause investigations & Corrective & preventive measure actions
- Having a good Communication culture
- Keeping a Risk assessment criterion
What should I do to be AEO Certified?
- Demonstrate compliance.
- Reliability: A trusted customer and is fully compliant.
- Have adequate traceable documentation and that follows due standard operation procedures
- Financial Solvency – have a good financial standing sufficient to fulfill its commitments.
- Have a mutual working relationship with customs.
- As an operator ensure you keep staff informed of the changes in legislation, customs procedures and other government regulations.
- Ensure a satisfactory system for management of commercial records by maintain a timely, accurate, complete and verifiable records.
- There should be good security for your networks that includes the system security and the security of the premises should be burglar proof.
- As a business entity, you must be incorporated in Kenya and must have operated for over 3 years since incorporation.
AEO Compliance procedure for companies
- Documentation of Standard Operational Procedures(SOPs)
- Compliance culture
- Training of company staff
- Internal audit programme/, mechanisms
- Root cause investigations& Corrective & preventive measure actions
- Risk assessment
What documents to be attached to the AEO Application form?
- Company Details and Contact Persons
- Managing Director and Alternative Contact Person
- Human Resources Policy Document
- Organizational Structure
- Code of Conduct
- Company Contracts (Between the Service provider and Contractors)
- Import/export Section Employees list
- Customs Agents License (where applicable)
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Company Pin Certificate
- Memorandum and Article of Association
- Financial Statement of the Company over the Last 3years
- Documented procedure
- Safety and Security measures
- Procedures for Recording and reporting incidents
- Procedure for dealing with staff, visitors and deliverers
- Internal control system procedures
- Fully filled, stamped and signed APPLICATION FORM
Do you have any news or article you would like us to publish? Kindly reach us via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.