List of Marine National Parks in Kenya And Their Locations
The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) is a state organ under the Ministry of Tourism mandated to manage wildlife on behalf of the Kenyan public.
The KWS also manages 5 marine parks, a number of national reserves, orphanages, and sanctuaries.
A marine park is a protected area in the ocean where authorities have limited human activity for the sake of marine life.
The following are the marine national parks found in Kenya;
1. Kiunga Marine National Reserve
- The Kiunga Marine National Reserve is located on Kenya’s North Coast along the Indian Ocean.
- Found in the Lamu Archipelago, the Kiunga Marine Park consists of 50 offshore islands, as well as numerous coral reefs.
- Some of the biggest attractions at the Kiunga Marine National Reserve include;
- The extensive mangrove forests harbor sea turtles and dugongs.
- Windsurfing and diving
- You can view the thriving sea life under the coral reefs
- Sunbathing and Skiing
- Sand dunes
- Kiwayu Island
- Kiunga is located 150 kilometers East of Lamu.
- You can board a boat or dhow from Lamu to get to Kiwayu Island.
2. Watamu Marine National Park and Reserve
- Watamu Marine Park is found on Kenya’s North Coast, about 120 kilometers from Mombasa.
- Located at Watamu in Kilifi county, the marine park is rich in sea life.
- Some of the attractions at the Watamu Marine National Park include
- Green Turtles
- Gedi Ruins nearby
- Green turtles
- Snorkeling and windsurfing
- Water skiing
- Glass-bottomed boat tours
- You can also jet in by air at the Malindi airport before taking a short drive to the Watamu Marine Park.
3. Mombasa Marine National Park and Reserve
- The Mombasa Marine Park is one part of the extensive Mombasa tourism portfolio.
- Tucked between Mtwapa and Tudor Creeks, the park boasts of the abundance of sea life inside.
- Some of the attractions at the Mombasa Marine Park include;
- Cucumber sea urchins
- migratory birds
- Windsurfing and diving
- Snorkeling and water skiing
- The park is accessible by road from Mombasa city center.
4. Kisite Mpunguti Marine Park and Reserve
- Kisite Mpunguti Marine Park in Kenya is famed as the “Home of Dolphins.”
- The park was created to simply protect priceless habitats and scenic ocean views.
- It is home to several migratory birds and marine animals such as dolphins.
- Kisite Mpunguti is also the best snorkeling location in Kenya.
- Other attractions include bird watching and diving.
- The 39-square-kilometer park and reserve are located 11 kilometers off the Kenyan Coast at Shimoni in Kwale County.
- It is 90 kilometers from Mombasa Kenya.
5. Malindi Marine National Park and Reserve
- Christened “The Coral Garden” Malindi Marine Park is the country’s biggest reservoir of zebrafish.
- The greatest attractions at the Malindi Marine and National Reserve include;
- Coral Gardens in the lagoon
- Seagrass beds
- Snorkeling and camping
- Various species of shorebirds
- Mangroove vegetation
- Turtles and other marine mammals.
- The marine park can be accessed via the Mombasa-Malindi highway, about 110 kilometers north of Mombasa.
- You can jet in directly at the Malindi Airpot near Malindi town.