List of All SADC Member Countries
The Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) is a regional block consisting of 16 countries.
It was formed for the following objectives;
- Regional integration.
- Cultivating peace and security.
- Poverty eradication through economic development in Southern Africa.
SADC headquarters are in Gaborone, Botswana.
The following are the SADC Member states;
- Angola is the second-largest country south of the Sahara after the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- With just over 17 million population, Angola’s economy is mainly driven by oil.
- Its capital is Luanda while its official language is Portuguese.
- Botswana is a country found in the central part of southern Africa.
- The Botswana economy is mainly pegged on diamond mining, with other sectors such as agriculture playing key roles.
- The Kalahari Desert occupies 70% of Botswana.
- While Setswana is the national language, English is the official language of Botswana.
- Comoros was admitted into SADC in 2017.
- The Comoros is a volcanic archipelago, composed of 4 islands, located off the east coast of Africa.
- The Comoros economy is sustained by agriculture, tourism, and the blue economy.
Also read: List of All COMESA Member Countries
4. The Democratic Republic of the Congo
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a country in Central Africa with approximately 108 million people.
- It is the second-largest country in Africa after Algeria.
- Its capital is Kinshasa and President Félix Antoine Tshisekedi is the head of state.
- The DRC currency is the Congolese franc (CDF).
5. The Kingdom of Eswatini
- Eswatini is a country in Southern Africa with approximately 1.1 million people.
- Its capital is Lobamba (royal and legislative) and Mbabane (Administrative).
- King Mswati III is the head of state.
- The Eswatini currency is the Lilangeni(SZL).
- The Kingdom of Lesotho is found in the southeastern region of Southern Africa.
- Lesotho is entirely surrounded by South Africa.
- Lesotho’s population is approximately 2 million.
- Its official languages are Sesotho and English with the capital in Maseru.
- Madagascar is an island situated 400 km off the east coast of Africa.
- French is the official language, while Malagasy is the national language.
- Antananarivo is both the administrative and commercial capital of the country.
- Malawi is a landlocked country located in southern central Africa
- Its capital is Lilongwe and President Lazarus Chakwera is the head of state and government.
- The Malawian currency is the Kwacha(D)(MWK).
- The Republic of Mauritius sits in the Indian Ocean and is approximately 2,400 km from the southeast coast of Africa.
- Its capital is Port Louis and Prime Minister Pravind Kumar JUGNAUTH
is the head of government.
- The Mauritius currency is the Mauritian rupee (MUR).
- Mozambique is a country that lies on the east coast of Southern Africa.
- Agriculture is the backbone of the country’s economy and employs most of the population.
- Portuguese is the official language, with English also being a major language.
- Namibia is a country on Africa’s southwestern coastline.
- The mining and tourism sectors are major revenue earners in Namibia.
- Namibia’s capital is Windhoek and its currency is the Namibian Dollar (N$).
- Seychelles is a cosmopolitan island off the coast of East Africa.
- It has 3 official languages which are English, French, and Creole.
- The Seychelles currency is the Seychellois rupee(SCR).
13. South Africa
- South Africa is a country that occupies the southernmost point of the African continent.
- South Africa is also among the top 3 strongest economies in Africa along with Nigeria and Egypt.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa is the head of state and government.
Also read: List of All European Union (EU) Members
14. The United Republic of Tanzania
- The United Republic of Tanzania is a country in East Africa that includes the islands of Zanzibar and Pemba.
- Tanzania’s economy is heavily dependent on Agriculture which employs most of the population.
- Tanzania has Kiswahili as an official language along with English which is mainly used in commerce.
- Zambia is a country in southern Africa that is entirely landlocked.
- Mining is the main economic activity given Zambia’s rich endowment of copper, cobalt, and gold.
- English is the official language that is widely spoken in Zambia.
- The Zambian currency is the Zambian Kwacha(ZMK).
- Zimbabwe is a country in southern Africa that economically depends on Agriculture.
- Its capital is Harare and President Emmerson Mnangagwa is the head of state and government.
- The Zimbabwean currency is Zimbabwean Dollars(ZW$).