The Police Clearance Certificate is a requested document in most institutions in Kenya. Banks, employers, insurance companies, government agencies require you present certificate of good conduct when you transact with them.
Traditionally the Certificate of Good Conduct / Police Clearance Certificate is issued by the Kenya Police CID department. The certificate confirms that an individual has not engaged in any criminal activity in the last six months or served a jail term for the same
What you need (as a citizen)
- Original and photocopy of your second generation ID card
- Complete set of rolled fingerprints of the applicant –taken at time of application by the CID
- KES 1000 or 1050 on eCitizen being processing fee
What you need (as a foreigner)
- The original and copy of the personal details page of the passport
- Letter explaining need for the certificate of good conduct
- Processing fee of Euros 38
N/B If you are in Nairobi you can only apply for the certificate of good conduct online for those outside, skip the online procedure and head to a CID office near you.
- Log on to eCitizen.go.ke portal and create an account `
- Click on “Get service now” on the Directorate of Criminal Investigations Tab
- Read the instructions carefully and then choose you payment method. The fee is 1050
- Print two copies of your invoice and a copy of C24 on A4 paper(double sided)
- Head to the CID offices with a copy of C24, the invoices and original ID for adults or Birth certificate for minors. Click here for a map to CID Headquarters.
Those in Nairobi, you take a matatu number 100 from OTC area stage. Alight at the CID headquarters. Follow instructions from the CID officers to get your Police clearance certificate.
If you are outside Nairobi visit a police station in your area and ask for the nearest CID divisional headquarters. Follow the instructions issued here to apply for your certificate of good conduct