10 Least Populated Countries in Africa
Approximately 1.3 billion people live in Africa. While some African countries are populous, smaller territories have significantly smaller numbers.
It is established that Africa’s least populated countries are small in size, which limits the space for settlement by people.
These are Africa’s 10 least populated countries as per recent statistics;
- Seychelles is an archipelago, a term that describes a group of islands clustered together.
- The country has approximately 98,000 residents which makes it the least populated country in Africa.
- Its 460 sq. km size is attributed to its low population as the settlement space is greatly limited.
- Seychelles is located on the Indian Ocean off Africa’s eastern coastline.
- It is a major tourist destination endowed with sandy beaches, exquisite hospitality, and coral reefs, among other attractions.
Also read: List of African Union (AU) Member Countries
2. Sao Tome And Principe
- Like Seychelles, Sao Tome and Principe is an archipelago of islands.
- The two largest islands in the country are named Sao Tome and Principe.
- With approximately 220,000 people, Sao Tome and Principe is the second least populated country in Africa.
- The country has a mountainous rough terrain which makes it less ideal for settlement.
3. Cabo Verde
- Cabo Verde is an island country that is found on the Atlantic Ocean, off Africa’s west coast.
- It is directly off the coasts of Senegal and Mauritania to be specific.
- Cabo Verde has 555,000 people approximately which makes it the third least populated African country.
4. Western Sahara
- The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, also known as Western Sahara, is a partially recognized state in North Africa.
- Though listed by the African Union, Western Sahara is a disputed territory with Morocco claiming part of it.
- Western Sahara records a population of approximately 600,000 people making it the fourth least populated African country.
- Comoros is an archipelago of three islands.
- It is located off the coast of Mozambique, with a population of just under 1 million.
- Its 1,861 sq. km size also makes it the third smallest country in Africa.
- Djibouti is a country located in the horn of Africa bordering Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia.
- It has a population of 1 million people making it the sixth least populated country in Africa.
- Formerly known as Swaziland, Eswatini is located in the southern region of Africa.
- Eswatini is bordered to the north, west, and southeast by South Africa, and to the east by Mozambique.
- It has a population of 1.16 million people and is famous for its Swazi royal family.
- Mauritius, an Indian Ocean island nation, is known for its beaches, lagoons, and reefs.
- It is located in the Indian Ocean to the east of Madagascar.
- Its population is approximately 1.2 million people.
Also read: List of African Countries Without First Ladies
9. Equatorial Guinea
- The population of Equatorial Guinea stands at 1.3 million.
- Equatorial Guinea is located in Central Africa sandwiched between Gabon and Cameroon.
- Guinea-Bissau is located along the west coast of Western Africa sandwiched between Guinea and Senegal.
- It has a population of 1,920,920, and its total land area is 28,120 sq. km.
- Guinea-Bissau is the tenth least populated country in Africa.